Singers are trained musicians who are able to read and interpret musical compositions. They then apply their tone and style and use their vocal range to add individuality and uniqueness to a song which they perform in a recording studio or in front of a live audience.
Duties and responsibilities
- Study, interpret and modify music, as well as memorise lyrics and new routines
- Practise singing exercises and study with vocal coaches
- Practise singing and dance routines for video recordings or live shows
- Perform in front of live audiences for TV shows and concerts
- Collaborate with management and production team
- Maintain and grow social media audience for self-promotion
- Write lyrics and musical composition for new songs
- Record new music in studios
Skills and knowledge
AVERAGE WORKING HOURS
Nights, weekends, holidays occasionally
Most singers work long hours, often into the early hours of the morning.
Those who are just starting their careers usually perform in bars and at local events to gain exposure. Many singers go through periods of unemployment.
A lot of travel is to be expected, often for long periods of time, particularly when touring the country or the world. You may also have to perform outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions.
Annual salary estimates are based on percentile wage data collected through the Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) survey of US workers.
No formal education requirements
While postsecondary education is not a formal requirement, a degree in music along with years of vocal training is beneficial when trying to break into the industry. If you do take the studious route, there are special schools that are dedicated to music and performing arts.
Competition is incredibly fierce within the music industry, so to try and promote your talent, you could enter a televised competition.
Many singers progress from local stages and gigs to big arena tours. Others focus on sharing their talent by teaching aspiring artists.
Depending on your style of music, you can find a niche area that you’d like to work in. For example, you can work in musical theatre, TV adverts, as part of a band or as a backing singer.