An armoured assault vehicle crew member operates armoured equipment and fires weapons in a combat situation. Every position involves the individual specialising in the type of weaponry, like assault vehicles, tanks and light armour. All positions consist of being dispatched around the world at any time to participate in combat or to institute peace.
Duties and responsibilities
- Follow directions and complete orders as quickly and as accurately as possible
- Drive tanks, light armour and assault vehicles on land or in water environments
- Maintain targeting and firing systems
- Interpret maps to navigate through an area correctly
- Operate advanced onboard communications and navigation equipment
- Execute auxiliary weapons, such as grenade launchers and machine guns
- Transport personnel in a combat situation
- Drop off the equipment in an assigned area during the fighting
- Attend sessions for field training under simulated combat conditions
- Spend time in a classroom to improve tactical and survival skills
- Participate in routine physical, weapons and military training exercises
Skills and knowledge
AVERAGE WORKING HOURS
On a rota
Every armoured assault vehicle crew member can expect to have an extensive work schedule that can start at around 50 hours and extend to as much as 70 hours per week. Most of the hours are completed in the field, but a lot of them are also done at a station or a facility. The role of an armed assault vehicle crew member can be stressful. You will execute orders, fulfil your duties and work with your teammates in all different types of climate and weather conditions. You will also eat, sleep and work outdoors and in vehicles in both training exercises and real-life situations.
Annual salary estimates are based on data published on the Today's Military website.
To become an armoured assault vehicle crew member, you do not need to possess post-secondary education. A lot of individuals who fill this position do so after enlisting in the military after school and serve for a couple of years. When you apply for the job, you will undergo basic training that will last for up to 12 weeks. If the goal is to advance to a leadership rank, then it would boost your odds of enrolling at a post-secondary institution and study engineering, geography or physical science.
The United States government has increased its defence spending by billions of dollars, and other countries are boosting their military expenditures. Whether it is during war or peace, billions of dollars are spent every year on the armed forces. There are plenty of employment opportunities for armoured assault vehicle crew members and other similar positions. However, the levels may vary during the type of economy – when the economy is booming, it is harder to recruit people into the army.